The Gemtech GM-22 rimfire can is the result of over 20 years of suppressor innovation and research. The cutting-edge G-Core baffle stack design enables the shooter to easily maintain this unit without sacrificing noise reduction.
Located in Idaho with industry roots dating back to 1976, Gemtech developed the GM-22 using 7075 aluminum, adding considerable strength to the innovative design. In fact, the G-Core suppressor line is the strongest Gemtech has produced. The manufacturer treats this particular silencer’s core with their very own C3 Technology, resulting in a smooth finish that prevents lead buildup, therefore improving disassembly and cleaning. However, it is advisable to avoid harsh treatment solvents (e.g., Hoppe’s No. 9, the “dip,” ultrasonic cleaners).
Do not be fooled by its diminutive appearance (5” length, 2.5 ounces)—the GM-22 is an impressive silencer that is a must-have for suppressor enthusiasts. And being the lightest can we offer, its handling is off the charts, making for an enjoyable and effective shooting experience.
- Sound reduction: 36–39 dB
- Caliber: 22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR (not rated for 17WSM)
- Full-auto rated (22LR only)
- Tube finish: matte black Cerakote™ with reduced visual-IR signature
- Core finish: C3 Technology
- Check out glowing reviews from recent customers (Reviews tab)
- Watch our video for more intel (Videos tab)
WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
- Tan nylon utility pouch with closure
- The target for shooting practice
- Warranty card and user manual
- When discussing suppressors and which ones offer the best value for the dollar, the argument usually begins and ends with .22 LR silencers. Compared to their centerfire brothers, rimfire cans offer better sound performance, lower weight, and cheaper price points. Thanks to these factors, .22 cans are often the optimal choice for suppression newbies, and thanks to immense growth in the suppressor industry, we have seen some intriguing products hit the market in relatively rapid succession.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been testing some less popular .22 LR suppressors. These cans are options that may not get the press that more established products receive, but are every bit as interesting. Since there are plenty of quality suppressors that fit this description, I had to work with my friends at Silencer Shop to narrow my choices to the ultra-lightweight Gemtech GM-22 and the rugged YHM Stinger. Two weeks ago, I covered the YHM silencer, and today we will chat about Gemtech’s G-Core-powered GM-22.
Size and Weight
By all measures, the GM-22 is a small suppressor. At just 5 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter, the GM-22 is considerably shorter than many popular rimfire silencers, several of which are over 6 inches long. Even more impressive than its diminutive footprint is the fact that the GM-22 weighs just 2.5 ounces. For reference, standard A2 NATO flash hiders like those found on most AR-15s weigh 2 ounces alone. A suppressor that comes in at only ½ an ounce heavier than your average flash hider is a remarkable feat.